Taste buds, start your engines! This lentil chili is simple, delicious, and guaranteed to have your family and friends asking for more. Which is no problem at all, because it’s so easy and inexpensive to make. It’s a great dish for a large family or a party.
½ to 1 lb (225 to 450 g) sausage (optional)
8 cups (1120 g) 13 Foods frozen lentils*
3 cups (28-oz / 755 g can) stewed tomatoes, no salt added
3 cups (28 oz / 730 g can) tomato sauce, no salt added
4 Tbsp (30 g) taco seasoning
1 Tbsp (10 g) brown sugar
1 tsp (2 g) pepper
Salt to taste
- Cook sausage until browned (optional)
- Add our delicious lentils to tomatoes, tomato sauce, taco seasoning, brown sugar, salt, and pepper. Bring to boil, and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Serve topped with shredded cheese and a dollop of sour cream.
- Weeknight meal: In the morning, place all chili ingredients in an electric cooking pot, set on low. By dinnertime, you’ll have a tasty meal ready to be devoured.
- Options: Add our tasty black beans, cooked hamburger, or frozen carrot rounds with the stewed tomatoes. Try diced onions as a garnish.
*Cook according to package directions.
PER SERVING (⅒ of recipe, excluding optional ingredient): 211 Cal, 1 g total fat (0 g sat fat), 0 mg chol, 250 mg sodium, 39 g carb (15 g fiber, 8 g sugar), 13 g protein.
Review and analysis by Janet Mann Nutrition Consulting.