Lentils, sweet potatoes, and wine all wrapped up in one delicious home cooked Shepard’s Pie. You will fall in love with this healthy, comforting dish over and over.
2 cups 13 Foods Pardina! Lentils, thawed (4 cups for vegetarian version) *
½ pound ground beef (optional)
¾ cup onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 large pinch of each salt and pepper
1 large carrot, shaved
2 Tbsp Tomato Paste
¾ cup red wine
½ cup chicken broth
3 large sweet potatoes, peeled & chopped
2 Tbsp butter
¼ cup cream
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- In a large frying pan, sauté onion, garlic, and ground beef.
- Once beef has browned, add 13 Foods Pardina! Lentils, carrot, salt, and pepper to frying pan. Cook on medium-low for 3-5 minutes.
- Add Tomato Paste, red wine, chicken broth and bring to a simmer. Let the filling thicken, 5-10 minutes.
- Boil the chopped sweet potatoes until soft. You are creating a mashed potato topping.
- Once sweet potato is soft, drain excess water.
- Add butter, cream, and Parmesan Cheese to whip. Whip or mash for about 3 minutes, set aside.
- Place the cooked filling in the bottom of a oven safe dish.
- Layer the whipped sweet potatoes on top.
- Cook in oven for 15-20 minutes, until potato topping is firm.
*Cook according to package directions