Say Hola! to a meatless twist on a Mexican classic. It’s a dish loved by vegetarian and meat lovers alike. Our tasty black beans are loaded with protein and a great substitute for any meat. Anna has suggested some of her favorite toppings, but hey, it’s okay to go a little crazy and add your own. We won’t tell.
2 cups (280 g) 13 Foods frozen black beans*
1 Tbsp (15 mL) oil
⅓ cup (80 ml) salsa (optional)
1 green onion, chopped (optional)
1 tsp (5 g) chili powder
½ tsp (2.5 g) ground cumin
Salt to taste
2 cups (140 g) bagged coleslaw or finely chopped cabbage
⅓ cup (20 g) fresh cilantro, chopped
2 Tbsp (30 mL) olive oil or mayonnaise
1 Tbsp (15 mL) lime juice
Oil for cooking
6-8 small corn or flour tortillas (145-190 g)
½ cup feta cheese, crumbled (75 g)
- In a small bowl, roughly mash 1 cup (140 g) of our tasty black beans with oil, salsa (if using), green onion (if using), chili powder, cumin, and salt with a fork. Thin with water to desired consistency.
- In another bowl, toss slaw with 1 cup (140 g) black beans, cilantro, oil or mayonnaise, and lime juice.
- Heat a drizzle of oil in a heavy skillet set over medium-high heat. Add a tortilla either flat or folded in half and cook until golden brown.
- Divide bean mash among tortillas.
- Top with slaw mix and feta. Serve.
- Optional: Add avocado, chopped tomato or red onion with slaw mix and feta.
*Cook according to package directions.
PER SERVING (⅙ of recipe for all first ingredients and excluding optional ingredients): 228 Cal, 11 g total fat (3 g sat fat), 11 mg chol, 150 mg sodium, 27 g carb (7 g fiber, 2 g sugar), 8 g protein.
Review and analysis by Janet Mann Nutrition Consulting.